-->

Monday, October 22, 2018

Inktober 2018 Day 8 "Star"

Day 8 of Inktober, prompt word "Star." I previously wrote about Inktober here. This is an edited version, but I'm posting these daily on my Instagram, @St.Rhinoceros:

Inktober 2018 Day 8 "Star" by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
Day 8 of Inktober 2018, prompt word "Star." by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros. Dip pen and ink. I'm pretty happy with this, but if I had this to do over again (and who knows, maybe I will), I'd make it at least twice as large so that I could get a finer gradation of black and white. I wanted the figures to pop less, to blend into the night sky a little more with the direction and texture of markmaking setting them apart rather than a distinct white outline. I'd also make the faces a little less cartoony. I wanted to capture that wild-eyed look that prey gets in the last seconds before its capture, but instead I got more of a "ruh-roh!" expression. This might be one to try again if I'm ever in a particularly obsessive mood for hours on end. [Image description: Black and white drawing of stars in the night sky. Stars are small white twinkly shapes, while the black space in between is a flowing texture of black lines very close to each other. In the center part of the black space between the stars, a lion is closing in on an antelope. The antelope is running toward the viewer with the lion right behind it, looking back at the lion in horror. Both animals are made of the same linework texture as the rest of the black space. But the eyes, teeth and claws are white.]

No comments: