-->

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Inktober 2019, Day 1: Ring

I just finished Inktober this year, the second year I've participated. An illustrator named Jake Parker started the tradition because he wanted to improve his inking skills, so he completed an ink drawing a day through October and posted them online. People joined in every year and now thousands participate, posting mainly on Instagram. It's free, anyone can participate and there are no rules, though many choose to follow the official list of prompt words, which I did. It's fun to see how other people interpret the words. I also gave myself a few rules: black and white only, roughly the same realistic style, and personally relevant. 
It was exhausting and, like last year, I did end up with a few illustrations that I love, and a few ideas I'll need to retool into better drawings. I also learned to work on having a light touch with the ink. Since I often work in charcoal or other media that can be reworked over and over, ink is a departure in that I can't build up light spaces over dark. It's ink, once it's there it's dark. 
I've finally had time to catch up and scan in my drawings to post them here. In case anyone wants to follow my Instagram, it's @st.rhinoceros

Sketch of Inktober 2019 Day 1 Ring by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
Inktober 2019 Day 1, prompt word "Ring." Dip pen and ink, 8 x 11 in. by Ciana Pullen. [Image description: black and white pen sketch of a woman in the bathtub, showing just her eyes and nose poking up above swirly bubbles and some reflection on the water's surface]

No comments: