-->

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Inktober 2019, Day 9: Swing

This image popped into my head as a result of wanting to portray "chaos." Astute readers may be realizing that, after the giant floating cat and bust of Victory, my rule to "keep it personally relevant" was not something I took literally. I'm sad to say that actual goats on actual trapeezes are not a part of my life, while chaos is. I did break my rule, though, at least twice toward the end of the month-long challenge out of exhaustion and unwillingness to do any more brainstorming or emoting.
For this drawing I'm pleased to say I learned to draw goats from every angle. I'd never tried drawing one, I simply assumed I could. I failed the first time, and much goat Pinteresting followed. Now my Pinterest feed is full of goats.
Still high on the atmospheric linework success of the previous drawing with the balloon, I added the shaded circus ring below and immediately regretted it. It took forever and looked worse, obscuring the black goat's butt, which was one of my favorites of the goat butts. So, I might pick this drawing back up at some point with the goats only, swinging through negative space. 

Sketch of Inktober 2019, Day 9, Swing, by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
Inktober 2019, Day 9, prompt word "Swing." Dip pen and ink, 8 x 11 in. by Ciana Pullen. [Image Description: black and white pen drawing showing an aerial perspective of six goats in a disorganized jumble swinging on a single trapeze, one goat swinging from a rope by its teeth, one goat on the ground below and one either falling or jumping. In the background is one corner of the edge of the circus ring. The goat swinging by its teeth is a direct reference to a favorite painting by Degas of an acrobat swinging from her teeth at the circus.]


No comments: