-->

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Inktober 2019, Day 13: Ash

I was a bit tired from doing landscapes and complex compositions at this point, so I just wanted to bust out a fun portrait. I broke my "personally relevant" rule and drew Ash from the Evil Dead, as did quite a few other people. There is no meaningful or symbolic link from Evil Dead to my life and I won't try to make one, but I did watch the first season of the recent TV series reboot Ash vs Evil Dead. It was great, I was impressed that they managed to recapture the B-movie magic after so much time had passed, Ash was considerably older, new characters were added, the format was different, and they had a bigger budget and the expectations of "cult classic" to fulfill. I didn't watch the second season though, it was just SO gory and I'm not a fan of horror in the first place. Plus there was an evil puppet in the Season 2 trailor, so I took that as my cue to leave.
This is drawn straight from a film still, though I did add the blood spatters. It seemed a little naked without them. There just wasn't enough room for his chainsaw-hand.

Sketch of Inktober 2019, Day 13, Ash, by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
Bruce Campbell as Ash from Evil Dead. Inktober 2019, Day 13, prompt word "Ash." Dip pen and ink, 8 x 11 in. by Ciana Pullen. [Image Description: Black and white pen drawing of Bruce Campbell's head and shoulders. He's grimacing or straining very intensely as blood spatters fly past his face. The background is blank.]

No comments: