-->

Friday, November 15, 2019

Inktober 2019, Day 31: Ripe

I went for another grocery store still life for the final day of Inktober. It's all seasonal fall/winter fruit (except the honeydew, who even knows when that's ripe) and somewhat low-carb friendly (except the persimmon, I suspect). You're supposed to eat just a little, though, on a low-carb intermittent fasting diet, not to break your daily fast with a giant fruit salad, which is what I did before I even finished this drawing. No regrets, it was delicious. Anyway, this is what I gave up last year while dieting (an overall positive experience), and I've since added back in a little fruit and the occasional healthy carbs. Diet talk is never especially interesting so I'll just leave it at that, but suffice it to say this still life is VERY personally relevant to me. These foods have occupied quite a lot of brain-space lately. They should pay rent.
I was happy with how this turned out. The honeydew looked especially nice, and the little silver cake fork (a flea market find) stood out against it just like it did in real life. I was happy with the zig-zaggy interior and rough exterior of the pear as well. As it turns out, pomegranate seeds are incredibly fast and easy to draw. The persimmon skin had just the right value and shine. The fruit pressed against the side of the wine glass was a fun challenge in black and white.

Sketch of Inktober 2019, Day 31, Ripe, by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
Inktober 2019, Day 31, Ripe, by Ciana Pullen / St. Rhinocéros
After devouring the fruit salad I carved a Jack O' Lantern, since it was Halloween. And I got a Trick-or-treater! She was some sort of zombie princess I think. I ate the rest of the mini-Snickers myself.

jack o' lantern
Just a standard pentagram with some antlers for this pumpkin. Nothing too fancy.


No comments: